If you’re a movie buff like I am, you’re probably familiar with the line from Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining” where Jack Nicholson’s character types out several pages of the same sentence: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. While the context in the movie is a bit eerie, Jack's comment is actually truer than you might think! I’ve also heard the old saying “Work is not supposed to be fun ~ that’s why it’s called WORK”. I humbly disagree ~ I believe that work should absolutely be fun! I’m not the only one that feels this way - there has been plenty of research on this topic and many of the studies found quite similar results: a healthy company must have some fun.
Here are SIX reasons FUN can (and will!) improve work quality & mental health:
1. Fun increases employee retention: Happy people are a lot more fun to be around and consequently have better relationships at work: a team that plays together stays together. And consider this: When money is tight and offering financial incentives is difficult, creating a happier workplace is an easy, affordable way to reward and retain staff.
2. Fun increases creativity: The right brain works best when freed up, especially during times of play. By allowing your team (YOU included business owners!) to have some downtime, you free everyone up to be more creative.
3. Fun increases productivity: When you feel great in your environment, you are naturally propelled to be more actively involved ~ this means better results with the whole team! Creating a work environment that encourages fun and creativity will get better business results and more engaged staff.
4. Fun improves communication: People speak and act differently when playing around. By participating in some playful activities with your team, you may learn things and garner information that you might not otherwise know. That little bit of extra information can help the entire team get better results overall. Imagine the results of knowing what motivates each of your staff members to do their very best each and every day? ~ It is phenomenal!
5. Fun breaks up conflict and tension: Having an office where it is okay to goof off a bit can prevent much worse down the road ~ it allows the team to blow off steam in a healthy manner, and quite often reminds us to laugh at ourselves. Likewise, happy people are more apt to find solutions to challenges rather than complain about them.
6. Customers like enthusiasm! Happy, enthusiastic employees yield enthusiastic customers. Enthusiasm is infectious. People like it. A happier staff that has more fun is a staff that can sell your business to the outside world.
Still not sold on the idea?? According to Amanda Gore, CEO of “The Joy Project”, companies with happy workers have:
• 19% less sick leave (Opener Survey)
• 51% lower turnover (Gallup poll)
• 33% higher profitability (Gallup poll)
• 43% more productivity (HayGroup Survey)
• 125% less burnout (Harvard Business Review Survey)
Most people will spend one-third of their working lives at work. If you’re not having fun at work, you should definitely start looking for ways to change that.
So get out there and have some FUN!!